Read, Write Inc
The use of engaging, relevant and high quality texts is central to our writing curriculum.
These act as stimuli for children to develop and explore their writing skills.
Children write for purpose wherever possible, using the RWI programme.
Grammar is not taught as a discrete subject, but is integrated into our English curriculum.
At Westbury Infants, from FS - Y2, we follow the Read Write Inc. programme. Daily lessons ensure spelling rules are learnt and applied.
Assessments are regularly undertaken pre, during and post units.
- Some words will follow a spelling rule – get children to explore these rules
- For tricky words think about shape, size etc
- Breaking words into sounds (c-a-t)
- Breaking words into syllables (re-mem-ber)
- Break it into affixes (dis +satisfy)
- Use a mnemonic (necessary – one collar, two sleeves)
- Refer to a word in the same family (muscle – muscular) or parts of the word they already know.
- Say it as sounds/in a funny way (Wed-nes-day)
- Words within words (Parliament – I AM parliament)]
Refer to etymology (bi+cycle= 2 +wheels)
Learn by sight (look-cover-write-check)
At Westbury Infants, children are encouraged to use a cursive script from Foundation Stage. Please see our Handwriting policy for more details.
We follow the Collins cursive script programme.