New Starters 2020
Welcome to Westbury Infant School. We are delighted that your child will be joining us and we look forward to meeting you soon.
Due to the Coronavirus, our arrangements for new starters this year will be a little different. Hopefully, you have already received your New Starter Pack from school in the post. The pandemic has meant term dates, and when your child's first day at school will be, are not yet confirmed. The Government are wanting every child to be back in school by September at the earliest and we are planning to achieve that as well. We will be contacting you over the Summer term to let you know about the arrangements once we know ourselves. Please rest assured that we will be working very hard to ensure that your child has a settled and happy start to school life at Westbury Infants.
Welcome to Starfish Class
Welcome to Sea Turtles Class
Welcome to Bears Class (Resource Base)
We would normally have had a New Starter parent's evening where we would be able to show you the routines and the ethos of the school. As this was sadly not possible, we have produced a very comprehensive powerpoint (see below) that informs you of everything you need to know and much more.
You are very welcome to contact us by email if you have any questions at all. Our email address is email@example.com and we will do our very best to answer your queries.
There is a great deal of information about Westbury Infants on our website, so we hope that you enjoy reading about daily life at our friendly and exciting school. Please also take a look at our FaceBook page where you will see photos and information - @WestburyInf
Please take some time to look at these virtual tours of the school and the classrooms. Ideally, you would have been able to visit and see for yourself but we have made these videos as the next best thing. The school does look different to what it normally does due to us having to follow the Coronavirus safety guidelines.
If your child is joining our Reception Classes, here are a few things that you can do at home to prepare them for starting school:
• Help them to recognise and write their own name
• Show them how to hold a pencil and draw a picture
• Read books with them and encourage them to hold the book and talk about the story
• Sing some nursery rhymes together
• Teach them to count up to ten and recognise the numbers
• Teach them how to use children’s scissors
• Encourage them to eat independently and clear their own plate
• Make sure that they can go to the toilet independently and wash their hands
• Show them how to put their own coat on and do up the buttons or zip
• Teach them how to get changed for PE – this includes taking off their uniform and putting it together in one place, putting daps on the correct feet, putting shorts and t-shirt on and off, and putting their uniform and shoes back on (harder than it sounds!).
We have some links below to websites that will be useful for you, in preparation for this next chapter at Westbury Infant School:
Starting Primary School:
Planning for transition when schools are currently closed:
Tiny Happy People Excellent bank of ideas and resources for little ones: